x close
gap programsBLOGResourcesAbout Us


Yes we accept international applicants.
Here's what you need to know:
Though the application process for international applicants is the same as it is for U.S. applicants, there are additional details you need to keep in mind as you contemplate joining Gap Year. Here are answers to the questions we most often receive:
If I am selected for an interview, what is the preferred means of communication?

We conduct interviews with our non-U.S. applicants by Skype.

Beyond the cost of tuition, what other expenses do I need to prepare for?

Please refer to the "Costs" page for more information.

Which visa will I need to enter the United States?

A B1-B2 ("visitor") visa is sufficient for entering the U.S. in order to attend the 10-week residential Launch Phase of the program in San Francisco.

Applying for an F-1 student visa is not an option because UnCollege is classified as an “adult recreational educational course” for visa purposes according to the U.S. Department of State and therefore not empowered to issue the Form I-20.

What about a J-1 visa - is that an option?

Only in the very specific circumstance that you already have a previously arranged internship with a company in the U.S. The J-1 ("exchange visitor") visa permits the visa holder to stay longer than 90 days and secure employment as an intern in the United States. UnCollege is not empowered to issue the Form DS-2019 which is a requirement to apply for the J-1 visa.

Can I do the internship in the United States?

Yes, but under the B1-B2 visas you are not allowed to earn money from your work.

Can I do the internship elsewhere besides the United States?

Yes, some of our non-U.S. fellows will exit the United States at the conclusion of the 10-week Launch phase to pursue their internships in another country.

Does UnCollege assist with visa acquisition?

No. We work closely with each fellow to provide support documentation as you apply for the appropriate U.S. visas. However, your ability to enter the U.S. in possession of the necessary valid visa and travel documents is your responsibility.